Raiding the larder of ideas.

What one family eats, plans to eat, dreams of eating. Plus, other food and kitchen-related stuff from the home of steak-and-potatoes, pie and fresh green beans from the garden.

Saturday, April 30, 2016

In the Name of Science

Our deep freezer was in desperate need of defrosting. I know these things should be done at least quarterly, so that foods don't get lost far in the back and become bricks of history, but we'd let it go for about 9 months. This meant that the appliance was no longer freezing hard, the way it's supposed to. The ice cream was getting soft. 

Needless to say, the job had to be done.

Now, when you have slightly more than a quart of mostly-melted ice cream, and only two people in the house for the afternoon, you may have a problem disposing of it. It would have been practically a crime to send it down the drain. And thus, the search for the recipe...

The popular "super genius kitchen hack" this past year was the so-called two-ingredient bread, using ice cream and self-rising flour, had come across my screen more than a few times. I decided to give it a try. After looking over quite possibly a hundred variations on the theme, I settled on this one for my trial.


Let me put it this way: I didn't hate it.

It comes out as something along the lines of a loose quick bread, sort of a muffin loaf. Well, actually, since I'd baked mine in a 4-inch round springform pan, it was sort of like a monster muffin.

Reminder to those who want to do the same thing: baking a deep round instead of a small loaf, you're going to need to pretty much double the oven time, which also suggests you may want to put a foil cover over it for part of the time, so it doesn't get too browned. I gave mine an extra 12 minutes (roughly 50% more time than the recipe called for) and it was still a little underdone in the core. I'm not complaining, though. It tasted fine, for an experimental muffin.

As bread or cake, though…I've had better.

No comments:

Post a Comment