Raiding the larder of ideas.

What one family eats, plans to eat, dreams of eating. Plus, other food and kitchen-related stuff from the home of steak-and-potatoes, pie and fresh green beans from the garden.

Thursday, November 18, 2021

From the Mixed-Up Files…

 The trouble with favorite cookbooks is that their bindings usually quit long before they books' usefulness ends. In our house, because we had long years of not being able to afford to buy new copies, we ended up putting those suddenly loose pages into ring-binder notebooks. When we got a little more money, Mom & I didn't want to give up the smeared, smudged pages to any further depredation, so we got boxes of transparent sleeves to hold them. This is where I stand, now, with the first two cookbooks I ever owned: Betty Crocker's Cooky Book and Betty Crocker's New Boys and Girls Cookbook, both of which I received as gifts before I was advanced enough in years and education to actually read them, let alone work from them. 

The ring-binder holding the sleeved pages of the Cooky Book is a 3-inch-wide-spined notebook, which means there is more room in there for stuff besides the one publication. Extra sleeves and front & back pockets are now stuffed with more: recipe cards from friends and family, newspaper & magazine clippings, and other food-related… stuff. Stuffing. Thingy.

I will be scanning the entire of those contents, eventually. Today, I only got the first few sleeves & the front pocket checked through. Here is a mall portion of it (click on any image to enlarge, and feel free to copy/download):





Dangerously tasty! and so simple!

I wish I knew where the rest of this recipe was…

Ah, the good old days, when people weren't afraid to eat raw eggs...



The original page from which I scanned this was barely legible, it was so badly worn


No comments:

Post a Comment