Raiding the larder of ideas.

What one family eats, plans to eat, dreams of eating. Plus, other food and kitchen-related stuff from the home of steak-and-potatoes, pie and fresh green beans from the garden.

Saturday, March 05, 2022

A Little Bite of Happiness: Eggs and Waffles and Cream

Today, I made breakfast for dinner. 

pardon the paper plate. it's a thing we do, these days,
because the chief cook says the bottle washer needs a break

 I've experimented with this melding of shirring and poaching eggs a couple of times before, having seen the recipe in The Bat's copy of Cooking on a Ration.  It suggests serving your creamy eggs on toast, but since my bread intake has been limited these past few months, I didn't have any of that on hand. Still, I had to try. Inspired by the need to make space in the freezer, and a desire for something simple, I dug out the last couple of units from this wild and crazy impulse buy: 

yeh. it has wheat in it, so I get these migraines…
it's why I stock up on Anacin and related items

It's interesting how just a hint of vanilla in the waffle manages to make the whole thing vaguely resemble dessert, instead of breakfast, though.  I like it enough that, when I make my own next batch of almond-flour waffles, I'll probably add some vanilla into the mix, regardless of whether or not I'm ladling cream on top of it (instead of the complete cheater's version, above, I'll use some of my Birch Bender Pancake Mix. It makes really good waffles – better than I can do from scratch, and it has the added bonus that it doesn't have anything in it to give me headaches – other than a small amount of effort. It's both gluten-free and keto-friendly).

Meanwhile, I heartily recommend poaching/frying/shirring your eggs in heavy or whipping cream. It takes those eggs to a whole new level. And the process is so simple!

I suppose, also, you can make this using regular milk, but why mess with pure, unadulterated, unsweetened decadence?



Cream-Cooked Eggs



Ingredients:
2 large eggs, brought to room temperature
1/4 cup heavy cream
salt/pepper to taste

Directions:
In a small non-stick frying pan, bring cream almost to a simmer (when a skin begins to form, you're there!). 
Crack eggs into a small dish, then carefully add, one at a time, into the cream. Cover, and reduce heat to low for 3 minutes. 
Remove lid, and, using a spatula or a spoon, splash the hot cream over the tops of your egg yolks, until the yolks just begin to set up. Remove from heat.

Serve immediately on your favorite dry-toasted bread (or waffles!), drizzling the cream over it all. 





I suspect it will do nicely with crumbled bacon or sliced ham, maybe even fresh peas, as well…keep it plain and easy, or go crazy with your own variations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment